Experts in children law

One of the most important aspects of managing any separation, whether you are married, cohabiting, or simply in a relationship, is keeping the impact upon your children to a minimum. Whilst we would seek to encourage parents to agree arrangements for children outside of Court either together, via solicitors or by mediation such an approach might not be in your children’s best interest.

Helping parents understand Parental Responsibility

If you have Parental Responsibility for a child in your care then you need to ensure that you are always acting in the best interest of that child as this will be  the primary concern of the court.

If you have Parental responsibility (PR) you have “all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which by law a parent of a child has in relation to the child and his property”. Whilst PR enables you to make decisions about your child’s property and welfare your PR is often shared with your partner. The exercise of PR can therefore cause conflict between those who share PR and that conflict will not be beneficial for your child.

We at Mogers Drewett will help you understand your duties and responsibilities you have towards your child when you have PR or not, and guide you as and when you need to act to provide the protection your child deserves.

Putting children first

The Mogers Drewett family team have years of experience in dealing with private law children matters from contact and residence issues to international child abduction cases. Whether there are medical issues or issues of domestic violence we can assist you in ensuring that your child is the primary consideration in any dispute.

Ranked and recognised in the legal directories

Compact and experienced team which regularly acts for high net worth individuals across the South West, including cases with international elements. Highly thought of for its work on financial remedy matters together with related tax and pension issues. Also handles private law children matters, including child and parental alienation cases, and offers advice on cohabitation disputes.
Chambers & Partners 2020

Rebecca Silcock heads the practice and has experience in the legal ramifications of divorce and relationship breakdown on financial matters ranging from family trusts and inherited wealth to commercial ventures and family businesses.
Legal 500 2020

Next steps

If you require legal advice with regard to a dispute or child arrangements, please contact us by either emailing or by telephone on 0800 533 5349 for guidance and advice in relation to any child issue that you may have.

Frequently asked questions

Often the conflict centres around where your child will live following your separation. Parties will talk of the child being in their care, and the other party as having contact. Whilst these might be the arrangements that exist for the child  they are often as a result of the parents individual commitments, and neither party will have a superior position to the other in the eyes of the court. The arrangements for your child should centre on their needs, and not the needs of either parents. We in the family team are able to assist you in understanding how the court will support both parents in  maintaining a relationship with their child following separation, and what arrangements would be in your child’s best interest.

Where there has been domestic violence or disturbance in the home prior to separation it might be appropriate for contact to be supervised or supported by a third party. This enables a period of calm, and time for the child to adjust to new arrangements. Supported or supervised contact are seldom seen as a long-term solutions but with the intention for contact to be developed over a period of time in the time scale of the child.

If you are in a position where your contact is being restricted then we can assist you in building your contact back up to ensure that your relationship with your child is maintained. If you have been the victim of domestic violence then you might be entitled to public funding. Whilst we do not offer this service we can advise you as to what help might be available to you.

Often extended family members are left out of the arrangements for child despite having been an important feature in the child’s life prior to the parent’s separation. We can assist you in understanding your legal position, and help you maintain your relationship with that child. Whether you are a parent, grandparent or step parent we can assist you in understanding your rights, duties and obligations in relation to any child in your life.

Do you have any other questions? Please get in touch with us on 0800 533 5349 or email at

Mogers Drewett

Sign up to receive updates from Mogers Drewett

By signing up you agree to our privacy policy.

Meet the team

Rebecca Silcock
Rebecca Silcock
Partner and Head of Department
Victoria Cobham (née Strode)
Victoria Cobham (née Strode)
Associate Solicitor
Simon Walker
Simon Walker
Senior Associate Solicitor
Elizabeth Dowler
Elizabeth Dowler
Laura Somoza
Laura Somoza
Paralegal ACILEx

We're here to help