Collaborative law – finding solutions together

Separating is difficult enough without the extra stress of costly litigation, but reaching a resolution after deciding to separate does not need to be an aggressive process or require lengthy legal battles.

Collaborative law (CL) is a voluntary, confidential dispute resolution process, that aims to resolve disputes between couples without the need to involve the Court. Both parties are represented by collaboratively trained lawyers, who assist negotiations through a series of meetings. The couple retain control over the process and with the guidance of their lawyers decide how to settle the dispute and on what terms.

CL is not suitable where there has been domestic violence, where one party cannot or will not be represented, or where there is a significant imbalance of power in a relationship, but it is commonly used to deal with financial disputes and contact issues between separating couples, married or not.

The advantages of collaborative law include:

  • A better ongoing relationship between the parties because of the avoidance of litigation
  • No lengthy or aggressive correspondence between the lawyers, as questions can be asked and issues clarified immediately during the meetings
  • The process is often significantly shorter than the traditional Court process and therefore can be less expensive

Next steps: get in touch

If you and your partner are separating and want to discuss the option of using the collaborative law process as an alternative to Court or mediation, contact our family team on: 0800 533 5349 or

Mogers Drewett

Whether you are an individual, a family or a business, we all have a role to play in protecting our planet and that is why we have teamed up with Ecologi. For every person who signs up to receive our newsletter we will plant a tree and together we can make a difference.

By signing up you agree to our privacy policy.