Equestrian Property

Buying or selling an equestrian property requires a different mind-set to a normal residential conveyance. Selecting a suitable agent is a key first step, but just as important is instructing a solicitor who understands what your horses will demand and how an equestrian business runs.

You should be able to gauge the condition of the fields, fences, and accommodation yourself or perhaps with the help of an agent or surveyor. Professional help will be needed however to guide you on other technical issues such as planning permission. Stables, field shelters, ménages and even horse walkers all have special requirements which may have an impact on any business rates applicable. Even the muck heap and its drainage could require specific certification from the Environment Agency.

A knowledge of grazing licences, livery agreements, insurance requirements, SPS entitlements, ELS schemes, FBTs and possibly NVZs would be useful too. If these TLA’s (three letter abbreviations) need further explanation, or you wish to discuss any of the nuances concerning the sale or purchase of a property for you and your horses then Richard Pinney and his team at Mogers Drewett Solicitors look forward to hearing from you. After all, we know that you will not be content until your horses are made comfortable first.

Mogers Drewett

Whether you are an individual, a family or a business, we all have a role to play in protecting our planet and that is why we have teamed up with Ecologi. For every person who signs up to receive our newsletter we will plant a tree and together we can make a difference.

By signing up you agree to our privacy policy.