As we approach the Christmas period there are encouraging signs that a good number of people are gearing up for a move at the beginning of the New Year. If you are one of them here are are a number of things you can start doing in preparation:
1. Decide on the Estate Agent you will use. Prepare the paperwork and documents that you will need to advertise your property for sale as early as possible.
2. Consider whether there are any works you can do (either minor or major) that may help to make your home more saleable.
3. Collate all the legal documents you will need to supply to your buyer or their solicitor. These may include planning and building regulation consents, guarantees for works that have been carried out, compliance certificates for any boiler replacement or electrical works and a FENSA certificate for any replacement windows or doors. It is far better to do this whilst you have time rather than when you are under pressure in the midst of a sale and any delay may lead to your buyer having second thoughts.
4. Instruct your solicitor to prepare initial paperwork in readiness for a sale. They will be able to check and discuss your legal title and advise if there are likely to be any issues. They may also be able to deal with any problems with the title so that they are resolved prior to a sale being agreed. Your solicitor will also be able to supply the standard Property Information and Fittings and Contents forms for you to start completing.
5. If you are selling a leasehold property your solicitor will also be able to provide you with the standard forms to complete and will also be able to obtain the additional documents which are required which include copy management accounts, insurance policy, budget and fire risk and asbestos assessments. Collating these documents can take time and again it is far better to prepare these when you have time rather than being under pressure to produce them in a short time period.
6. In addition your solicitor will need to make a number of checks to comply with the current Anti Money Laundering Requirements. This can take a little time and needs to be concluded before your solicitor can start any legal work.
With these simple steps you will be in a good position to market your property in the New Year and quickly turn a prospective buyer into a sale. Good luck with your sale!